Nuvance Health is a family of award-winning nonprofit hospitals and healthcare professionals in the Hudson Valley and western Connecticut. Nuvance Health combines highly skilled physicians, state-of-the-art facilities and technology, and compassionate caregivers dedicated to providing quality care across a variety of clinical areas, including Cardiovascular, Neurosciences, Oncology, Orthopedics, and Primary Care.
Nuvance Health has a network of convenient hospital and outpatient locations — Danbury Hospital, New Milford Hospital, Norwalk Hospital and Sharon Hospital in Connecticut, and Northern Dutchess Hospital, Putnam Hospital Center and Vassar Brothers Medical Center in New York — plus multiple primary and specialty care physician practices locations, including The Heart Center, a leading provider of cardiology care, and two urgent care offices. Non-acute care is offered through various affiliates, including the Thompson House for rehabilitation and skilled nursing services, and the Home Care organizations. For more information about Nuvance Health, visit www.nuvancehealth.org.
The Grossing Tech is responsible for assessing and verifying specimens and grossing tissue for processing. Responsibility includes ensuring compliance with applicable state & federal regulations as it pertains to surgical pathology. This position demonstrates willingness to assist co-workers and/or to accept additional assignments as requested.
1. Performs routine and non-routine activities involved in the preparation of surgical specimens for histology processing, according to established policies & procedures.
2. Assures appropriate specimen accessioning and labeling.
3. Maintains the integrity of the specimen and patient identification.
4. Describes gross anatomic features of routine, uncomplicated surgical specimens, ensuring that all lesions, markings and sutures are mentioned.
5. Capable of grossing moderate to high complex/complicated specimens and handle broader range of specimens including, gall bladders, oriented skin lesions, etc., under direct and indirect supervision, as applicable to training and experience.
• Bachelor’s degree in Science or NYS Department Education Equivalent or equivalent experience as a grossing technician.
• Meets all Meets all requirements as outlined in 42 CFR § 493.1489 - Standard; Testing personnel qualifications
• PREFER: One (1) year Grossing Tech experience.
Minimum Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Requirements:
• Ability to multitask, work well with others and complete work duties timely and effectively.
• Excellent communication and customer service skills.
License, Registration, or Certification Requirements:
• Current NY State Medical Technologist (MT), Medical laboratory Technician (MLT), or CytoTechnologist (CT) license.